I have an impairment and want to start my own business - where do I start?

A good place to start is the Self start  grant.  This is 
a grant that helps disabled people or people with ill health become self-employed.  It helps meet extra costs such as:

  • workplace modifications
  • physical support including on the job physiotherapy or attendant care
  • mentoring
  • special equipment needed because of the person’s disability or ill health
  • additional costs of transport or parking
You may get Self Start if you:
  • have a disability or ill health that is likely to last for more than six months
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • You should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.
You can't get Self Start if you are getting weekly compensation under the Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2001 (ACC).
Visit the Work and Income  website has more information about Self Start. 

Can I get any help to install a ramp at my workplace?
You can apply for a Modification Grant if you require changes in your workplace or equipment to make it easier for you to stay in or get work.  The grant pays for things like:
  • Ramps and handrails
  • Visual aids
  • Computer equipment
  • Other changes in your workplace.
You may get a Modification Grant if:
  • You have a disability that’s likely to last at least six months
  • The modification will help you stay in work or get work
  • You don’t get weekly payments from ACC
  • You are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
  • You should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.
Visit the WINZ site for more information.

I have an impairment and struggling to find work - is there any support to find an employer who will be understanding of my needs?

Elevator assists Aucklanders with disabilties to work in careers of their choice. Elevator employment specialists will work closely with you to find the right career option for you.  

Freephone: 0508 353 828
Phone: 09 531 5600

Fax: 09 529 1409

Workbridge is a professional employment service for people with impairment, including people with experience of long-term injury or illness.

Find your local centre

Freephone: 0800 858 858
I have a disability and require specialised equipment to do my job, what support is available?

Workbridge has three Support Funds to assist people with impairment in New Zealand to participate in open employment.

  • Job Support
  • Training Support
  • Self Start

For more more information visit Workbridge Support Funds.
Book seat
Multi grip opener
Contact Us

0800 625 100

Royal Oak Store

14 Erson Ave, PO Box 24 042,

Royal Oak, Auckland

Ph: 09 625 0322

Botany Store

308 Te Irirangi Drive,

Botany South, Auckland

Ph: 09 281 5027

Browns Bay

13-15 Bute Road,

Browns Bay, Auckland

Ph: 09 550 3387

All Stores Open:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Saturday: 9am - 4pm